Almost every now and then we crave for a certain kind of food but do you know the reason behind it? There are several reasons behind cravings – it could be sleep deprivation, depression, deficiency or even low blood sugar.
CARB RICH FOODS
If you craving carb rich foods like breads, pastas, pizzas, etc there could be two reasons behind it i) you have gone long without eating or ii) you have been eating too much simple carbs. Both the reasons occur because of a dip in blood sugar levels. Remember to have small meals throughout the day with a gap of 2-3 hours to curb your cravings and prevent yourself from overeating.
CRAVING SOMETHING SWEET
If you are craving for sugar fixes you might be consuming more sugar than what your body requires. High sugar consumption is linked to diabetes, heart disease and cancer (American Heart Association). If you are craving for something sweet, reach out to fruits like bananas, grapes, mangoes, etc. Opt for fruit juices over sodas and bottled drinks. Have yoghurt with fruits as a healthier snack option.
CRAVING SALTY FOODS
Stress and tension can lead to craving for salty foods and this is the reason why stress leads to weight gain instead of indulging in junk foods. Have roasted nuts and seeds with a dash of salt. You can even try roasted lentils or chickpeas in place of chips and other junk food. Always try and include a variety of foods in your diet to get the best of all nutrients!
CRAVING DEEP FRIED FOODS
If you have been consuming low levels of fat for a few days, your body starts craving for deep fried foods. Instead of consuming deep fried snacks, try and have baked snacks to cut down on calories. Try and have a variety of nuts in your diet to get omega 3 fats which are highly beneficial to your heart.
- If you’re craving something hearty and filling, opt for protein like chicken, fish or eggs to give you satiety and nourish you with amino acids!
- If you’re craving to eat chocolate, always opt for dark chocolate as they are lower in sugar and rich in magnesium
- If you’re craving something salty and sweet, have some homemade popcorn with some honey and cinnamon. You can also try and experiment with different flavours!
- If you’re craving something savoury, have some vegetables sautéed in olive oil with some herbs and spices for a healthy way to satisfy your cravings
- If you are unsure about what you’re craving, hydrate! Sometimes our bodies confuse thirst and hunger so drink a glass of water and see if you are still craving
If you have doubts regarding any specific food or diet, you can get in touch with us. Talk to our nutritionist – call 044-42014141 or mail email@example.com